Questions About Federal Prison Inmates

questions about federal prison inmates

How do I find a federal inmate? This Federal Prison Inmates page will guide you to the answers.

First, let me review some basic information as confusion about this subject often happens. Generally, there are three different types of inmates:

  • Federal inmates are those individuals who have been convicted of a federal crime. Upon sentencing, they do their time in a federal prison. Federal prisons are all over the United States.
  • State inmates are those individuals who have been convicted of a state crime. Upon sentencing, they do their time in a state correctional facility. Usually, these inmates are found within the state itself where the crime was committed. However, there are a small percentage of inmates that may be in another state correctional facility for a variety of reasons.
  • City or county jails hold individuals who do short sentences and have committed more minor offenses.

The easiest way to find a federal inmate is to click the "Federal" button on the navbar to the left. It will take you to the page that has links to the Bureau of Prisons site where you can search for a specific inmate. You will need their ID number or you can search by entering their first and last names.

A question that has come up before is how to get a federal inmate transferred closer to a family member. The BOP (Bureau of Prisons) have policies that govern the transfer of federal prison inmates from one prison to another. A Nearer Release Transfer is a transfer for the purpose of placing an inmate nearer his/her release destination or home.

However, you must have served at least 18 months in your current facility and have a clear disciplinary record. The prison you want to be transferred to must be the same or lower security level as where you are now. Typically, unless you are more than 500 miles from home, a transfer won't be considered. If you want to read the actual policy, you can find it on the BOP web site.

Return from Federal Prison Inmates to Ask A Question

Home: Federal